Friday, October 8, 2010

Lace & corduroy, lets blend together

Sorry for the lack of update. When I think I have lots of time, the next day I got a wholesale orders on top of others and now I cant sit too long in front of the laptop. Work is 247.

Anyway, I was talking about doing corduroy. I really like to work with other fabric, challenge myself to work with other than cotton...So I bought 2 pieces of corduroy and really looking forward to experiment it.

This is the inspiration. The lace top. So I found a simple lace fabric and started right away.


1. Full lace & corduroy
Cutting lace fabric is soooo... hmmm..challenging? I think so, because the texture is so fine and it keeps moving. When you want to pin it, you have to make sure you wont do any damages to the small tiny little texture. I lined full lace fabric to the corduroy and the inner is a cotton. And it is not reversible. I can use a plain fabric but it will look dull since the outer is already plain color fabric so I decided to sew it with the printed cotton inside.

I haven't decided the price yet, because it will depending on how complex the lace fabric is. So far, this is the only one I tested, and I seen lots of heavy lace out there, but they are beautiful AND expensive.


2. Corduroy and lace trim
This is the first experiment actually. I like lace trims very much. Its not as delicate as the lace fabric and it's still beautiful. My daughter loves this the MOST. So this is not for sale, it is officially HERS. This really makes her feel like a princess. Also, not reversible and still, I lined with printed cotton.

3. Corduroy with bias trim
I found this bias trim at the famous shop, Karysma and loving it so much. I have all colors they sell and I think brown and blue work well for boys. This is a 8-9 yo round top sunhat, and that makes it looks big in my rattan head.

I have another cloche actually but its too big (made it for size 6-7) and it didn't enhance the features of the cloche. So I decided to make a smaller one (3-5) so that it stays well on the rattan head.

So all these will be in the shop, custom made and for wholesale...SOON. Because currently I only have 2 colors in hand, and already ask some retailer to get some more colors for me.

The corduroy is Robert Kaufman's and it is a Wale 21 corduroy. The lower the "wale" number, the thicker the width of the wale (i.e., 4-wale is much thicker than 11-wale). Wide wale is more commonly found on trousers; medium, narrow, and fine wale fabrics are usually found in garments used above the waist.(Source Wikipedia) So the width of the wale is small and the fabric itself not thick. Its just fine for us in Malaysia and I noticed that, still trendy to wear it at night!

I have lots of ideas in my head so I will post more here. Till then.

xoxo

2 comments:

Zura said...

Cute vintage-y look Mai, nice! :)

Zaira said...

nice hats u sew..ur little girl is so cute :)